Aly (Fantasy4eva)'s Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

“He’s the most beautiful creature I have ever seen and it’s not about his face, but the life force I can see in him. It’s the smile and the pure promise of everything he has to offer. Like he’s saying, ‘Here I am world, are you ready for so much passion and beauty and goodness and love and every other word that should be in the dictionary under the word life?’”

Sometimes, guys, simply reading a book once is not enough.

You find that reading it a second time offers you a whole other reading experience.

Those once slow 100 pages now whiz you by, and you realise it was not the pace that was at fault, but your confusion.

You savour it so much more. Make sense of certain references - crush on the plot, characters and writing, and fall in love with Jonah Griggs all over again.

It frustrates me so much to know that I can never do this book justice. That so many readers out there have yet to read this beauty.

The thing is, somehow, even though I knew what was going to happen, I choked up and laughed like a mad women at the exact same scenes I did the first time around. What made me smile at times was how the little tissues were still there. So many times I would be about to bookmark a certain moment only to realise that it was already bookmarked. I suppose I know myself too well ;)

When I approached the last 100 pages I decided to read them outside in the garden. I have never had that urge before, but It was dark outside, silent and soothing in a way that I couldn't imagine it being inside. It felt right to read those last pages alone - in a peaceful surrounding. Yet, like last time, I dreaded that last page, and when it had ended - I closed the book and just allowed my thoughts to take over and savour them, because I knew it would be a long time before any other book would ever make me feel like this again. I took that moment to mourn characters and a world I genuinely felt I had lost - taking some solace in the fact that I would return to them when the feeling of loss became close to unbearable.

You know, I can see myself reading this every year, discovering something new every time, loving the characters even more - if that's even possible.

Once again I was left with this undeniable ache that made me want to be a part of these characters lives, but I think what bothered me the most, and what really made me feel somewhat of a loss, was knowing that I will never know a Tate, Hannah, Webb, Jude, Fitz, Jonah, Ben, Raffy, Chaz, Jessa, and Taylor.

I feel like I'm saying goodbye to something personal every time I turn over that last page, but now I know that's hardly the case.

LOVE does not even come close to describing what I feel for this book

Treasure it guys

And then read it all over again <3
59 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

Limonessa Have to re-read this soon, enough time has passed. What a great book.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Lisa O. wrote: "Have to re-read this soon, enough time has passed. What a great book."

I was never much of a re -reader, and then I read Jellicoe road and started re -reading favourites after loving the experience of reading this a second time. I know I'll be re - reading it for years to come :)

message 3: by Alanna (last edited Sep 26, 2011 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alanna I completely agree with everything you said. I've forced so many people to read this book, it's insane and all of them have loved it (I even bought Julie, my co-blogger, a copy just so she'd read it).

I've been dying to reread it for ages but I can't do rereads until my TBR pile is smaller. :(

I was reading this thing a while ago about Melina's books and I didn't even notice that in The Piper’s Son Ben the violinist is Ben Cassidy from JR (and apparently his band is made up of the Mullet Brothers and Anson Choi). =P

I kind of hope Melina writes a companion to JR, like she did with SF.

...sorry, my comments are always too long. :P

Laura Aly! That was lovely! Your review just pulled on my heart strings! Just beautiful! I adore this book and Jonah! Hell all of them! Still miss their voices.

message 5: by Aly (Fantasy4eva) (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly (Fantasy4eva) sadly i don't think she will. as much as i would love there to be a sequel, maybe it's just not meant to be. maybe jellicoe road is only jellicoe road as a standalone. i don't think any sequel can do it justice and maybe melina marchetta knows that. it's too loved to ever be beaten or matched by any of her other work. and yes! i remember when ben came. i seriously squealed. i could not believe it!! clearly marchetta knows us too well. people should read that book, if anything, for that reason. OH, AND TOM MACKEE *sighs*

did julie like it? and have you reread it since your comment?

aww, thank you Lauren! i was just reading the review after your comment came up and it just brought it all back. i feel the exact same way. i'm not much of a rereader and i've read this four times. it feels good to know that when i miss them too much, i have the option of cracking up JR and revisiting them again. and i get it. i still miss them. :)

Ariana Aaah.. There is a book companion of sorts (if we can call it that :-? ).
The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta
It's for kids, it's about Jonah's brother and I just remembered that I really, really wanted to read it just to see a bit of Jonah in it :D

Laura My jaw just hit the desk! Ari--have I told you I love you lately!? I would love a bit more of Jonah! :) Thank you! Thank you! :D

message 8: by Aly (Fantasy4eva) (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly (Fantasy4eva) oh, OH i have heard of this!! it sounds so cute. and i remember jonah talking about his little brother very fondly so i really want this. apparently jonah does make an appearance. i really hope he's still wearing those combat boots. hehehee. me too. we need to get our hands on this soon! gunna check if they have it on TBD girls. thanks for reminding me!

Laura I will be dreaming of Jonah tonight—that’s for sure! :D

Ariana :)) glad that I could help.
I see that it's quite unavailable in most places, but now that you've made me think of my beloved Jonah, I really need to get it too ;))

Aly (Fantasy4eva) lmao! don't even get me started. i actually did have a dream about him! he was wearing THE BOOTS. and was cool and smexy as ever. i woke up in a bit of a daze and a stupid grin on my face :D the book is actually available on fishpond. yay!

here:

Laura NICE! Thanks, Aly! Gotta love waking up with a grin! ;) I can’t believe this almost got by me. Have you read Finnick yet? It keeps getting bumped in my to-read pile—not sure why.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) yup. it was really good. even though fantasy isn't my thing, i still really loved it. only gripe is that i didn't connect with some of the characters like i have done in previous marchetta novels. but its sequel froi of the exiles took care of that. personally, preferred the sequel. but finnikin was a 4 star read for me which is still pretty fab. :)

Laura Thanks, Aly! Fantasy is really not my thing either—it can surprise me though. I know it will be amazing—HELLO!—it’s Marchetta, but for some reason I’m scared to jump. I will soon though. Thanks for the push! :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) GIRLS!! I JUST ORDERED THE GORGON IN THE GULLY. jonah griggs, i am coming! LOL :D eeeek. can't wait. think six quid is a pretty good price. yay! you guys should totally order a copy. we could have one awesome read-along <3 :)

Laura LOL! I’m in! I will try to order mine after work. :) Anything for more Jonah! Cash, credit, a kidney….name it! ;)

Ariana I'll have to postpone my order because I'll be out of town for a few weeks and I don't want it to get here while I'm not. If you'll read it first, I can't wait to see your thoughts :D I saw that many book friends enjoyed it so it should be great! :)

I am so jealous that you've dreamed of Jonah, Aly. My dreams are all so boring, maybe I need to read this book again before going to sleep tonight ;)))

As for the Lumatere series - I loved it!!! I won't tell you again to read it, Laura, I know that soon you will and that you'll love it. (both books are amazing.. where's the 3rd one, where's the 3rd one?!!!! )

Aly (Fantasy4eva) lmfao. i might be going a bit overboard. but i've been wanting to re-read the pipers son for a while. i found sf but don't have ps in the library anymore.so i just bought the uk paperback of sf and the aussie paperback of ps. they are both grey which is totally awesome! i could have gotten the hardback ps since its the same price as the aussie paperback. but i love my paperbacks a whole lot more. and besides, have you seen the aussie ps cover?

it is gorgeous! http://www.fishpond.com/Books/Pipers-...

the sf cover i bought. http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Savin...

lol my parents are gunna kill me :D i'll just tell em it was all in the name of the marchetta BOMB. (devy heheeh)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Ari wrote: "I'll have to postpone my order because I'll be out of town for a few weeks and I don't want it to get here while I'm not. If you'll read it first, I can't wait to see your thoughts :D I saw that ma..."

aww will you have time to be on goodreads? i couldn't believe it myself. it ended just when it was getting interesting LOL!

I KNOW RIGHT! like i can't believe how long we have to wait *sighs* i'll just reread SF AND PS and gorgon to keep me preoccupied :)

Ariana yeah, I'll still be on GR, if not on my laptop then at least on the phone. Thank god for all the technology (kindle included, as it makes the traveling-and-reading relationship a lot easier, LOL)

Have fun with SF and TPS, I think I'll re-read JR - damn I love it so much!
MMarchetta is amazing, really, I can't wait to see Jellicoe Road on the big screen. Does anyone know how is the movie coming along? Did they finish the script already? I need some casting news please! Not that I know many Australian actors anyways ;)))

Laura Well—I hope you are traveling for fun, Ari. :) Have a good trip. But really it will probably take weeks before I get my copy in hand anyway. So—please Aly—if you get your copy quick—dive in! I waited for weeks for Hunting for Lila and The Other Life to get to me. We will gossip no matter what though! :D

Wait, wait—there is a movie in the works! Where have I been? :D

Ariana Oh, Laura sweetie.. where are you hiding from the world?
Yes, they've been working on the script for a while now. I should check her website to see if there's something new about it.

I should watch Looking for Alibrandi one of these days as well.

Laura LOL! Living under that damn rock again! Haha…I am off to check movie details too! :D

Ariana Found it (from September):

"Writing the film script has been just as challenging as the novel. But I’m very proud of it as an adaptation. Without having changed the story and especially the characters and their relationships, I’ve changed the way it’s told. Telling a story visually is so different to holding it in your hand and turning a page. There are lines in the novel that Taylor speaks only to the reader and sometimes they don’t work being spoken out loud in dialogue. But the best part for me is knowing that someone out there, who loves the novel and has read it a copious amount of times, will still be surprised. I love the new scenes as much as the old. I have Taylor saying things in the film that Jonah said in the novel. I have boys in trees in dreams appearing as part of someone’s art work rather than someone else’s psyche. It was like getting to do it all over again."

Laura Can’t stop grinning & giggling now! Visions of Jonah on the big screen!!! :D
Thanks, Ari!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) oh i am so excited about this! i just want to see the cast already. and the thought of seeing THE JELLICOE TRAILER. omg that would make my life.

i am so, so glad that she wrote the script. i would have been heart-broken if she hadn't.

and yeah i've seen the trailer for LFA. i don't know though. it didn't seem all that great to me to be honest. it's actually my least fav marchetta novel too. but i do think i'll watch it someday. just because i am still rather fond of the book.

Cassie i have re-read this book countless times and every time it is a new experience for me. its just... simply indescribable how much i love it. im hoping to find another book just as amazing

message 28: by Crissean (new) - added it

Crissean your review was beautiful. it encompasses what i feel each time i finish a great book :)