Sheela's Reviews > Left Neglected

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Oct 22, 11

Read from October 09 to 22, 2011

This was an interesting novel, written in the perspective of a woman with a traumatic brain injury. The main character experiences hemi-neglect after a horrible accident, and the story deals with her struggle to cope and recover. As a neuropsych major, I thought the author accurately documented the difficult recovery process that is required for patients with brain injury, but the ability to relate to the main character was a bit lacking. The beauty of Lisa Genova's first novel ("Still Alice", written in the perspective of an Alzheimers patient) was that she really captured the character's vulnerability. In this novel, the main character was definitely vulnerable (i.e., re-learning to use the toilet can be de-humanizing), but forgettable.

I do appreciate the author's dedication to the research and the details she puts into every scene. You can tell she interviewed doctors, neuropsychologists and occupational therapists in order to illustrate the life of a patient with left neglect. And it's difficult to write in their perspective when you haven't experienced a TBI yourself, so kudos to that.

I recommend the book, but maybe not as much as I recommend the author's first novel, Still Alice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Left Neglected.