Fani's Reviews > The Dangerous Gentleman

The Dangerous Gentleman by Julia London

This is actually my all time favorite romance. I have read it more times than I can remember.

The story is simple: Adrian Spence, marries his brother's sweetheart to get revenge on him for conspiring with their father on disowning him. Adrian is a tortured soul: always rebuffed by his father, he recently found himself in the awful position of having to kill his very best friend in a duel. So emotionally, he is as closed as an oyster. Lilliana, his wife, is a simple country girl, neither too beautiful nor experienced. She soon realises that her husband is keeping his distance except when they're in bed together. During the day, he hardly speaks or listens to her at all. This of course, is ripe ground for the evil brother to saw the seeds of discordance between them. And the misunderstandings begin...

For fans of angsty, emotional reads, this is a great story. Yes, half of the misunderstandings could be solved if only they talked openly to each other. But both, especially Adrian, prefer to keep their pride rather than open themselves to possible heartache. I really don't care why the gap between them takes so long to mend; I just love the incredible tension Ms London seems to build. And every time I re-read it thinking that I'll just skip some pages here and there, I end up reading every single page again, feeling the same agony, of whether these two people will find true happiness after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dangerous Gentleman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Great review, Fani. Seeing that we have some tastes in common, I'm eager to read this one now.

message 2: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Awesome Review Fani, this sounds great, *adds to wishlist*

Fani I really don't know what to say about this one Danielle: it's my favorite book, so I hardly can be objective about it. I've read reviews though which state that Adrian was way too cold and the misunderstanding went on for a long time. I however, did not mind them -obviously- and on the contrary absolutely loved Adrian who I found rather proud and emotionally wounded (both characteristics I like) rather than cold. As for the misunderstandings, I think they were much in line with the plot and never minded them. In fact they provided some twists that created even more angst to an already emotional story.

Well, I have a tendency to point out the bad points in this one rather than the good ones, in order not to raise expectations in others; I don't know if that's wise. But I feel since you liked Something Wicked, which also has a less than perfect hero, you'll like this one. London has the same ability with Beverley for me: to engage my feelings and make me care deeply for her protagonists. I would like to know what you think if you read it.

Fani Rane, as I said to Danielle, I don't want to raise people's expactations in this one since I know it's not perfect. But I think people who like emotional, angsty reads, will like it anyway.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I know it's scary when you love a book and say so and you worry that others might not like it as much , but I'm happy to give this a read. (It's in my tbr pile already). I love an emotionally-wounded hero, Fani. It's a lot easier to forgive their bad behavior than a guy who's never had any troubles in life, and is rich, and handsome, and all is well. Then he's just a jerk for no reason. :)

Fani If you already have it, then certainly give it a try Danielle. And no, Adrian, never had it all so he was never a jerk to me. I can think of a few who fit that description you give though:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Cool, thanks, Fani. I'm good then.

message 8: by Chryssa (new) - added it

Chryssa This is definitely my cuppa!!!! Thank you Fani, for reasons more than this lovely review! ;o)

Fani You're welcome:)

Steamywindows♥♫ Great review Fani! I just saw your recommendation in a thread looking for the Hero's POV. I think I might have to try this...

message 11: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Thank you! It's a favorite of mine and it's one of the first books that made me realize that getting into the hero's head, improves my appreciation of the story. If you don't get bothered by too many misunderstandings based on bad communication, I'd say try it!

Steamywindows♥♫ Fani wrote: "Thank you! It's a favorite of mine and it's one of the first books that made me realize that getting into the hero's head, improves my appreciation of the story. If you don't get bothered by too ma..."

LOL, I can take a bit of bad communication, sometimes pride seems to be the flaw i struggle with the most IRL! I can't recall reading anything by JL yet...

message 13: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani I have the same flaw myself so I tend to not dislike it in my romance heroes either Steamywindows:)

I like JL's writing, she's one of the more emotional ones, more like Lorraine Heath than Julia Quinn IMO.

Steamywindows♥♫ Fani wrote: "I have the same flaw myself so I tend to not dislike it in my romance heroes either Steamywindows:)

Well I am certainly looking forward to this one...

message 15: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani *keeps fingers crossed*

Steamywindows♥♫ Well I am in the middle of chapter 2 and it is a great opening...OMG!

message 17: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani You started it already? I'm so glad you're liking it; I hope it goes on like this:)

Steamywindows♥♫ Fani wrote: "You started it already? I'm so glad you're liking it; I hope it goes on like this:)"

I just finished and honestly feel like I just devoured it! It is one I will be putting on my keeper shelf for sure.
I was emotionally captured with both these characters right from the start, and though I had moments, (more than a couple) where I wanted to shake them both, I felt empathy for them. GREAT recommendation my dear! Thank you.

message 19: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Does happy dance!
I'm so glad:) I love this book and both main characters; Lillian's growth from insecure miss to self-assured woman, is one of the most realistic I've read IMO. And Adrian, is spite of being very pigheaded at times, is a very drool-worthy hero I believe!

Steamywindows♥♫ Fani wrote: "Does happy dance!

Totally! I was also impressed with secondary characters, even Benett (though not admirable, he was still well done). Thanks again, I might have to check out more JL books!

message 21: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Oh please do! I do need someone else to talk about her books, and not many people are big fans. But if you like angsty romances, I think you'll find plenty of hers to like/love.