Marvin's Reviews > Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena

May 08, 12

Read from September 24 to 26, 2011

There are two things you will learn from reading Parasite Eve

1. How to do a kidney transplant. In fact, by the time you finished reading, you will likely be able to perform one on yourself. Wouldn't recommend you try it though.

2. Everything about mitochondria. I didn't know what mitochondria was. I looked it up. The information in the novel seems very accurate in the science department, although I suspect there is a lot of speculation about the evolution of both Mitochondria and human cells. But this is essentially a horror novel so you know something going to go haywire. In Hideaki Sena's hands, mitochondria turns out to be nasty buggers but I won't say how. Suffice to say, by the end, you will be more than a little uncomfortable that these tiny MFers are inside you.

Parasite Eve starts a bit slow but builds nicely. There is a lot of medical and genetic details that may slow some down. However when this novel revs into gear it moves at the speed of sound. Whether it is novels or movies, the Japanese are leading the pack in innovative horror. Parasite Eve is a must-read for anyone exploring the state of science fiction and/or horror in Japan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parasite Eve.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I almost picked this for an October read this year.

Marvin Haven't got around to writing the full review yet. It will probably be a long one, but I loved the mix of medical science, genetics and horror. Well worth reading.

Joey I'll agree that is only one of the flaws of this book is that it is bogged down by so many medical terms but it is a very fasacnating book