Cecilia Solis-sublette's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-dystopia
Read from September 24 to October 06, 2011

Finally, a YA dystopic novel that I really enjoyed! Lauren DeStefano does a great job breaking away from the plot-formulas we have come to expect from YA fiction for young women and, by doing so, writes a novel that shows a great amount of respect for the issues some young women actually face, whether literally or metaphorically. The novel begins with a sex-trade kidnapping scenario that does not end well for the majority of women involved. Though shocking, it reminds us that there are young women in this world who are forced into the sex trade on a regular basis. Forced into a loveless marriage along with two other women, these women become the protectors of one another and learn to live as true sisters, each responding to their controlling husband and father-in-law in very different and peculiar ways. What makes this novel great, I think, is the rich imagery and symbolism throughout. The gardens, the swimming pools, the lush parties. This novel really is a blending of "Rappaccini's Daughter" combined with the polygamist HBO hit Big Love . There are features of the home that are very surreal in nature; yet, believable and beautiful. And, best of all, romance takes a far backstep in the novel. Cause, when you are living in a house as a sex slave - against your will - is romance really going to be at the forefront of your mind? While our heroine is successful in maintaing her chastity and her strong will, the only romance we see in this novel is Rhine's realization that romance would be nice...if it weren't for the shackles that bind. In the end, a great novel that would be enjoyed by young and not-so-young women, alike, as questions of illusion and reality, love and free will, and friendship and competition are addressed in complex ways in a way cool setting. Oh, yeah, this is also a dystopic world. Forgot to mention.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

09/25/2011 page 35
10.0% "I'm surprised with the violent start of the novel. Sadly, the beginning is not all that unreal. Sex trafficing goes on today."