Elisha Condie's Reviews > Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

Sep 24, 11

Read in September, 2011

I so looked forward to this book. But it honestly felt like reading "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" again - seriously, at least half the stuff is in the other book. And yes, it gave us Nicola's point of view on events, but she doesn't add enough to make it any more interesting. It was rather tedious reading a bunch of things I had read not a month ago.

The Fuller family are nuts. They are fiercely British, but wholly African. Nicola Fuller in particular is determined to be truly Scottish but at the same time totally convinced of her right to land in Africa. It was such an interesting and foreign combination of beliefs. I wanted to come away from this book understanding Nicola better, but I feel just as mystified by her as before.

I liked the first book much better. Perhaps if I hadn't just read it I would have liked this one more, but I'm not sure. That crazy Nicola Fuller is fun to read about but she's also kind of exhausting - you get the feeling that if you knew her in real life you'd just get tired of her.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness.