Mark's Reviews > Mother Night

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Sep 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 1972

One of the things you will notice when you do get into Vonnegut- as you probably will love him or hate him- he loves to pull old characters back into focus and expand on them. In this book, the minor character of Howard Campbell Jr. from Slaughterhouse Five gets his own platform. Just as he would like it, the turncoat propagandist that he was! And for an unlikeable character KV makes no bones he does not like, never the less, it's obvious he highly enjoyed his place in the forum, making points on what was 1960's American "friendly-fascist" conservatism & similarities he saw in the Goebbels Germany he where he suffered war-captivity. I think this book is his greatest piece of political satire.
While in Slaughterhouse Five Campbell was busy recruiting his elite corps of impudent snobs to fight their fellow GI's on behalf of Der Fuhrer, this book tells how he got there. In the Nixon-era context in which I first read it, like those other Vonnegut creations I enjoyed, I ROFLMAO'd considerably. You might too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother Night.