Bridget's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

2076050
Nov 09, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in October, 2011

I've been wanting to read this book for a while, as several people I know really like it, and the series of Maisie Dobbs books. I had an audiobook version, but gave up on it, since the particular recording I had wasn't broken into chapters - and since I usually listen during lunchtimes, it was hard to keep the story flowing.

The story takes place after World War I, and Maisie Dobbs, a former war nurse and woman who has worked her way up through humble beginnings, starts her own business, as a "psychologist and investigator," having been mentored by someone with an impeccable reputation. Her first case is a man who thinks his wife is cheating on him, and the story turns out to be much more benign than that. It leads Maisie into an investigation of a place called "The Retreat" which is a home for severely wounded WWI soldiers to live out their lives away from public viewing of their wounds/injuries.

Maisie is a really interesting person, with an interesting background and character. Her backstory is as interesting as the current story, and the case she investigates. The other characters are well-written and the story effective.

I cannot wait to read more books in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.

Brenda Mengeling The Masie Dobbs books are an excellent series. I will warn you though that they get better as they go along. I found the first two good enough, but after that they have been some of my favorites.

Bridget I'm enjoying this one so far!

message 3: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I throughly enjoy this series.

Katelb1123 I really enjoyed the 1st 2 or 3 books, but they became, not only formulaic, but referred knowingly to lesser known people of that era whom we now regard with reverence: sort of an anachronistic "nudge-nudge-wink-wink".