Leslie's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Jun 04, 2012

liked it

[Spoilers ahead] I thought this book would be different in terms of content, characters... I was disappointed. I thought it focused more on the young gal on her own as it did in the beginning. I like how the book started with the girl being in the park and having her garden there... What an awesome detail. As a writer myself, I think that is one of the coolest ideas. And the milk cartons... All that... I could have read about those kind of adventures, details for quite along time! We never get that magic again, though. I loved that & waited for something just as zany later on yet it never happened.

The whole idea of the Language of Flowers... What a grand idea for a book! I just felt that the author could have used it in a broader way rather than primarily brides and weddings and having the main character become a florist. Would a homeless girl have some jealousy issues seeing families together at a wedding? And weddings seem to reflect boatloads of cash these days rather than the couple themselves... Yet this young lady had next to nothing? How did that affect her? Did she think about her own wedding gown ever or was it not even a question? Speaking of being a florist... I'm sure Elizabeth taught her quite a bit about flowers but it felt a bit unbelievable just how good the lead character was at being a florist so fast (arranging and such)... I didn't buy it.

And it takes place in San Francisco, right? The guy she happens to fall for is the nephew to her previous foster mom? For real? That's not a blip on the map! That seems a bit much too! Maybe it should not have been in San Fran in order for their meeting up to be more believable? I didn't like how it was so inte-connected.

Yet, I hand it to the author the characters were likeable even in their unlikeable moments, although it was close
there at a few moments with the young woman and baby. Yikes. Or rather the young woman without her baby. Sleeping in the park. I liked every character introduced in the book and that is unusual for me. I enjoyed the unique cast of characters because they each brought something to the page.

Some of the best scenes are of the young couple eating together. It features humor, sensuality, humanity and genuine mutual affection.

There are some great lines in this book that made it worth your while. I will try to add some soon.

3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

05/23/2012 page 120
05/31/2012 page 278
91.0% ""I didn't like the lecture halls. Too many people, not enough flowers.""
show 1 hidden update…