Ula's Reviews > The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living

The Wisdom of Yoga by Stephen Cope

Sep 25, 11

Read from September 23 to 25, 2011

This is the 1st book i've read about yoga and its deeper purpose. As an atheist, I am intrinsically weary of self-help and spiritual books but I am also deeply in love with yoga so I thought I'd give this book a go since I've heard great things about it. There was a lot of amazing insight in it for me, and I really like how he talks about the fact that scientists have studied what happens in our brains when we meditate and practice yogic physical and mental movements. That part of it speaks to me. Though I've done yoga on and off for probably 15 years, it never really did much for me until I needed it and in the last 2 years it really changed the way I think and live. Cope talks a lot about some of the initial changes that occur when you start practicing yoga and I can relate. I didn't connect with the latter half of the book because the whole idea of living in a yoga retreat for months on end just screams of a certain type of privilege that again, I am just intrinsically weary of. How does that apply to real peoples' lives when the insights in the book from its characters come from months (and sometimes years) of living in a cabin out in the woods? Who can really do that? Maybe some day in the future I will relate with those sections of the book as well but now, not so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wisdom of Yoga.