Sandra's Reviews > Dragonswood

Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey

Feb 25, 12

Read from February 23 to 25, 2012

If you know me, you know I don't generally enjoy fantasy novels but I had to give this one a try because the cover just drew me in. I mean look at that, it's just gorgeous. Thankfully, it wasn't just a gorgeous cover; it was a fantastic plot that drew me in from page one. I read the Prologue the other night right before my husband and I were about to go out, I was actually whining that I wanted to keep reading - I knew it was going to be a fantastic novel.

The world building Carey does in this novel is fantastic. Even though I generally wouldn't want to travel to the year 1192 (I love indoor plumbing much too much to ever leave it) I would love to visit the world Tess lives in. To have a magical forest in practically my backyard and to be able to see fey and dragons there would be just amazing.

Speaking of dragons, I think they were my favorite part of the whole novel. They were really personified dragons and I loved their human emotions and attributes. I'm sure if this were real life instead of a novel, you would be able to see their emotions in their eyes. They were so huge, but also very tender. I can't recall ever reading a novel with dragons before, but if there are more out there with dragons like this I would gladly give it a go again.

Four stars! I really loved this novel from page one, but by the last seventy or so pages I was ready to move on. It's a great standalone novel and fantasy lovers of any age are sure to love it even more than I did.

...more YA reviews at pandareads.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonswood.

02/24/2012 page 348