Ezekiel's Reviews > Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors

Red Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman

Aug 05, 14

bookshelves: read-picture-book, picbook-poetry, to-buy-picture-book, picbook-read-aloud-no
Read from October 01 to 02, 2011

Wow. The poetry of the colors is even beautiful for adults to listen to (no "brown cow jumped over the moon into a bow" for this book!), with word placement adding to the rhythm. The illustrations are beautiful as well, with lots of detail (everything mentioned in the poetry is in the illustrations, but often small, it could indeed be a bit of a search for kids to figure out what the line is referring to and to then find the picture of it). I loved the person depicted, along with the Pup, and that the monarch seems gender neutral and has similarly gender neutral friends (one appears in Summer I believe).

It's just beautiful, with beautiful words and beautiful everything. Definitely putting this on my "to buy" list.

OH. One thing: I wouldn't read this to a group of kids necessarily because a lot of the beauty of it is in the details, and in a big circle, they won't get to see it. This feels definitely like a private, intimate book to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Sings from Treetops.