A. J.'s Reviews > How Mirka Got Her Sword

How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry  Deutsch

Sep 28, 2011

Read in August, 2011

My local library has a fairly small collection of graphic novels. Much of the time, the ones that do show up are either adaptations of novels or decadently drawn romances.
When something that looks more interesting turns up, my first response is usually to dump everything I’m carrying, sit down on the floor next to the shelf, and read it cover to cover before putting it back. When I started Hereville, I realized that I would have to check it out and spend time reading it to fully appreciate it.
The interactions between the characters (particularly Fruma and Mirka) were irresistible. In many of the scenes in her house, you felt more like you were intruding on their private lives than reading about fictional characters. Mirka’s crafty explanations and schemes were absolutely charming; brave, yet still in keeping with her age.
It is easily one of the best graphic novels I’ve read in a very long time.
It was apparently a webcomic before becoming a book; the art is different, and I haven’t read through the webcomic yet to see if there are any major differences in the text. I still highly recommend getting your hands on a copy- it’s a good book to curl up with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Mirka Got Her Sword.