Abby's Reviews > Kink: An Autobiography

Kink by Dave Davies

Nov 10, 08

bookshelves: music, memoir
Read in November, 2008

Dear Dave Davies: I don't know. You are a brilliant guitar player, you wrote some great songs, and you seem like a pretty decent guy. I loved hearing the stories behind songs like "See My Friends" and "David Watts" and "Arthur" and your evident love for your family, friends & country is charming. But when you started talking about your psychic powers and telepathic communication with invisible beings from outer space, you kind of lost me. So you get only 2 1/2 stars, sorry. Next time, maybe just stick to the rock. Thanks, your fan, Abby.

p.s. You did sum up the appeal of the Kinks' music quite nicely in this passage, though:

"Kinks music is people's music. It is simple, sad, poignant music for lovers, and especially lovers who have lost . .It is riding a number 41 bus to Holloway Road. It is dancing in a deserted ballroom. It is about being thrown into a situation with people you have absolutely nothing in common with and trying to make it work."
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kink.

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Estey I love rock autobiographies that sort of Just Get Weird. You sort of expect wall-to-wall bizarreness in Lisa Carver's "Drugs Are Nice" but when original Blondie player Gary Valentine starts getting all A. Crowley in "New York Rocker" it just seems very inappropriate. Julian Cope is an amazing author too but his two auto-bios are filled with some of the most disturbing personal behavior and ideologies. I have to check Dave's out! I thought it was going to be boring! Thanks!

Abby "Kink" definitely belongs to the subgenre of "Unexpectedly Weird Rock Autobiographies." (maybe that should be a category in Nancy Pearl's next Book Lust?) If that's what you're looking for, you'll love it! Next up for me is Ray's book, X-Ray. I'm really curious to see how he'll talk about Dave and his "visions" -- Dave doesn't mince words when he talks about his messy relationship with his brother.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen you know, i read this a *looonnnng* time ago, and i either blocked out the weirdness or didn't think of it (which is an obvious concern...); now i wanna go check my bookshelf and have a do-over!

David I agree, Abby. I thought this started with a bang, and had some great insights into the Kinks' music, and the early days of hotel room destruction. But towards the end it's as if Mr Davies' editor has gone on vacation (or just thrown up his/her hands in frustration). I don't object to the alien intelligences talking to Dave Davies, but it doesn't really fit into this narrative over all. I did love the part where he is reunited with his high school true love after many years. I like stories like that, as long as they are true stories.