Denise's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: christian-books, nonfiction, scl, biography-memoir, christian-nonfiction
Read from September 23 to October 04, 2011

Hard book to rate, even harder to describe. I appreciate the author's honesty. I enjoyed the glimpses into her everyday life. I do think I need daily to be conscious of God's blessings, both big and small. I do need to have more of an attitude of thankfulness and trust. Good points. There were parts of this that truly were beautiful and moving. But also, there were parts that I felt went on too long and I had to force myself through (the moon thing). I disagree with some of her assumptions, and I think her picture of God is a little off kilter, unbalanced. Some parts sounded almost like they could have come right out of Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul, another book that didn't always sit right with me. Volskamp is a talented writer, and I know many loved this book, but her bloggish, over the top writing style just doesn't do it for me. But I think I would like her if I met her in person.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

Leann I'm going through all the reviews, reading them, because I just finished the book. I feel the exact same way as you. I had to force myself to finish. The moon chapter drove me crazy! I am a technical writer, so the more concise and to-the-point, the better, but I do enjoy poetic language. However, this was just not my thing. Glad I'm not the only one!

Carol I liked her poetic style, but felt that the book went on too long. It was hard going for the last 50 pages or so, with the broken glass incident, the trip to Toronto and the trip to Paris. Maybe if she had stopped the narrative earlier?

Jeanie I am less than half way thru the book and I was very pulled into the part of being in a hurry and time. However, after reading your review I am concerned about the mystical part that you compared to Edlridge's book. I think its a book that you makes you think of thankfulness in a whole new light which I am all for.

message 4: by Ab (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ab Her writing style was difficult to read, at times. It was a little "wordy". However, her descriptions of her losses and difficulties were poignant and touching. This book was a useful tool as I pulled myself out of depression. I've tried to practice thankfulness everyday. It's worked!