Emily's Reviews > Twilight

972022
May 01, 2008

it was ok
Read in August, 2008

Ok, I am a little bit afraid to write this review. I think I might get deleted from everyone’s list. But…I have to be honest: This book did not excite me - at all. I didn’t hate it. I just didn’t really like it. I guess that’s called ‘neutrality’.

Here’s why I didn’t particularly like it:

#1 The book was 500 pages. 12 pages actually had something happen. Ok, maybe 15 pages had actual stuff going on. The other pages were just about a teenage girl going to school and she had a big crush.

#2 The author spent sooooo freakin’ many pages convincing me that Edward and his “family” were nice vampires, that when an actual meanie vampire showed up that I never did get nervous. And it all happened so fast in the last 12 pages of the book that I never had a chance to get nervous.

#3 I’ve heard how romantic Edward is. Can somebody explain how he was romantic? I don’t consider romance to be saving someone from getting squished by a van. That is being a hero, not romantic. And if he had let her be killed by the van, would he have been considered unromantic? And I thought it was creepy that he snuck into her room and stalked her. However, it is a very fine line between stalking and crush/love. It all depends on if you like the person who is following you around/calling you constantly/writing notes to you/sending you flowers/peeping in your window.

#4 Even at the end I did not have any connection with Bella because I felt like she was a contrived and unrealistic character. Contrived: she was very clumsy, she was plain, she started a big crush right away on the most handsome boy in school, all of the boys in the school liked her as soon as she moved in even though none of the boys at her previous school had bothered with her. Unrealistic: A teenage girl who goes to the grocery store and actually cooks real food (instead of pizza) for her father, her father does not look after her but she does her school work without prodding.

#5 Because I never connected with Bella, I never figured out why Edward connected with her. I kept reading, thinking that her supernatural powers of vampire goddessness (or something) would be revealed. Nope. Didn’t happen.

Having said that, I will still read the other three books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

message 1: by Dahlene (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dahlene My thought was the same as yours. What do you bet you won't put it down until you've finished and you'll be headed to the library or bookstore for the others. You're lucky. You won't have to wait months for Breaking Dawn. Edward is the man of my dreams. Sigh.

message 2: by Dahlene (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dahlene I am so surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be. You are not normal.

I cannot believe you weren't intrigued with this book. If you didn't like Twilight, there is no way you will like New Moon. I hope you do read it and decide it is a good series.

Good luck reading.

Abby I think that you had your expectations set too high. It could never have measured up.

Kimberly I agree with you Emily. Not as great as everyone makes it out to be, yet I read all three and will probably read the next one. I'm certainly not counting down the days until it comes out. In fact, I don't even know when that is and don't care. I'll read it when I get around to it, and that probably won't be anytime soon. I wish I could understand why people love them so much. One of Nate's coworkers actually just got back from a trip to Forks, WA just because she's such a fanatic. Can you say crazy?

Emily FYI Kimberly, the 4th book came out last weekend. Is it on your 'to-read' list yet??!?!?! :)