Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Wondrous Strange

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: children-young-adult, 2012, fairies, paranormal
Read from August 18 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I didn't like Wondrous Strange at first. But by the end of the book, I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

There's a lot of setting up in Wondrous Strange, and it isn't until the end that things really pick up. I'm glad I gave it a chance, because it is interesting. I like the idea of four different courts, and the Janus, who protect the gate that Oberon closed (except for one day a year). There's some interesting fairy mythology in this book.

Now that I think about it, there were quite a few clues in the book that I didn't pick up on. I really liked the theater aspect of the novel. And how fairies popped up everywhere.

Wondrous Strange is narrated by Kelly and Sonny. I thought their stories were interesting together, and I think it worked better with the two of them as narrators than either of them on their own.

Kelley did handle things a little too well. You find out you're the daughter of a fairie, and you act like it's perfectly normal? It was a little weird for her at first, I think, but overall, she was a tad bit okay with the family secret. Of course, I'm totally basing her reaction on what I'd do if I found I was the daughter of 2 fairies...which would be freaking out. Kelley did crack me up, I have to admit.

As for the other characters, they were just okay. None really stood out, except for Sonny, but there's something off about him. It was hard to care about most of them in this book, but maybe in the next book...

I give Wondrous Strange a 3 out of 5. I enjoyed it, especially towards the end, but it took a little too long to get going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wondrous Strange.