Marie-Jo Fortis's Reviews > Wolf Dreams

Wolf Dreams by Yasmina Khadra

Sep 23, 2011

Read in December, 2009

This is not the best book to read around Christmas time, so I promised myself to finish it at least one week before the Holidays.

It is an informative read if you want to have a more profound perspective on Islamist fundamentalism and terrorism. We are fed in the American news with the notion that these people attack other cultures, but are seldom informed about what they do to their own people. Nor are we told that fundamentalism feeds on social injustice. For it is in the underprivileged part of the population that terrorists recruit. Without realizing it, this part of the population goes from one form of exploitation (by the rich) to another (religious fanatics more hungry for power than the Allah whom they claim to defend).

Khadra is incisive and merciless in his portrayals. In French we say: "Il ne fait de cadeau à personne." Literally, he gives presents to no one. The spoiled rich are depicted as silly and cruel; the fundamentalists as absurd and even crueller; the followers as naive and unable to think for themselves until it is too late.

Khadra's writing style is sharp and incisive and only lets poetry intervene when he describes nature, which he often personifies.

For the reasons mentioned above, I think everyone interested in terrorism and social injustice should read this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Dreams.