Audrey's Reviews > Traveler

Traveler by Ron McLarty

May 01, 08

Read in April, 2008

I've read Ron's previous book and was happy to see this one in the book store...so, I bought it. The storyline goes as follows: A middle-aged guy in NYC half off off off off broadway actor/half bartender returns to his native East Providence,RI for his childhood friend, Marie's funeral. Marie was shot in the back by a mysterious gunman, survived, but ultimately was killed in adulthood by the bullet because it became a "traveller."
Upon his return to East Providence, Ron inevitably runs into old friends and becomes mixed up in attempting to solve the mystery of the gunman (who also shot a few other individuals to death). The ending is unexpectedly great, however, some transition in the writing was a bit awkward; not very smooth. There were also some characters (Ponserelli's for example) who were a bit overdrawn and unbelievable( I'm sure the intention of the author).There was also one point where he mistakenly called a character by another character's name (surprised that the editors didn't catch this). I overall enjoyed the book. I thought the plot was interesting and my favorite character was the gruff but loveable Big Tony. I also enjoyed it because I lived in Providence for 4 years and understand some of the nuances and references. I'd recommend it to anyone from the RI area and/or to folks interested in a solid, good mystery. Summer is coming and this is a great beach read! I am looking forward to more by this author in future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traveler.