eva's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: fiction, sff
Read in April, 2011

one-sentence summary: after humanity sends itself back to the dark ages through nuclear war, a small catholic monastery in (what used to be) the utah desert struggles for 2000 years to salvage the few scraps of literacy & scientific knowledge that remain.

this is a post-nuclear-apocalyptic sci fi classic that my dad had been trying to get me to read for years. the first few pages made me afraid the whole thing was going to be totally corny, and there were some bits that didn't hold together for me. but overall i ended up finding it very affecting and have thought about it a lot in the (bajillion) months since i finished it. it was a moving depiction of individuals trudging through their lives against a backdrop of tremendous & incomprehensible loss, making what small differences they can - despite living amongst constant reminders of their own transience, and despite knowing that they'll never live to see more than a keyhole's worth of the whole picture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jillbertini (new)

jillbertini This is one of my favorite sci-fi novels. Glad to gear you liked it!