Shelly's Reviews > 72 Hour Hold

72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: school, books-of-2011, biographical, poc-protag, three-star-review
Read in November, 2011

First off, I'm going to try very hard to keep comparisons of An Unquiet Mind out of this. 72 hour Hold is fiction, An Unquiet Mind is not. Removing the subject matter, this book has little to do with An Unquiet Mind. This book is rather...different. I didn't particularly like it, but I didn't outright hate it. The characters are well developed and fleshed out, though most of the cast I found particularly unlikable. Keri, the mother figure, tries so hard to cling to the ideal of what her daughter could have been before her illness progressed, that it wasn't until the last fifteen or so pages, that she realized the woman her daughter could be. Keri has as many flaws, if not more, than Trina. Including an alcoholic mother who makes an appearance and becomes more of the story in the last few chapters.

Moore Campbell does a good job of portraying the various illnesses that are encountered in the novel. The timeline is a bit skewed, and there are a few plot holes you could drive trucks through, but besides that--it was actually pretty decent. There is a motif of forgiveness throughout the entire novel, as well as a likening to Keri's dealing with Trina, and Trina's illness to Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. This is actually my first non-academic book that I've read that's by an author of color. It was interesting to see how a character of color was written, and the mention of prejudices by some of the medical staff, that probably wouldn't have happened if the main characters were white.

Overall: Not my favorite thing I've read this year, but it's not the worst thing I've read. Honestly I read it for the extra credit in abnormal psychology. But if you're interested in a fictional, well researched look at characters with various disorders check this out. Also, I know there are a few of you who are on the prowl for books by authors of color, and Bebe Moore Campbell fits that, so if you're looking for one and it seems interesting, there you go. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 72 Hour Hold.