Sheila's Reviews > Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb

Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb by M.J.  Ware

2039269
Sep 23, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, coming-of-age, young-adult, suspense, scifi-fantasy
Read in September, 2011

Nathan’s growing up, but best friend Misty’s growing faster, their relationship just starting to struggle with the strain. Parents struggle too, alternately planning vacations together and refusing to let the children see each other. But running away from home turns out to be a bad idea since the two kids return to a town emptied of the living and filled with the living dead. Soon they’re raiding Wal-Mart, trying to recreate zombie survivals of movie fame, and slowly realizing most of the people in zombie movies don’t survive.

Luckily even zombies have an Achilles’ heel; in this case it’s lemonade, though Wal-Mart’s shelves might be hard-pressed squeezing out enough citrus to save these kids. Of course, life has given them more than just lemons; free reign of their parents’ houses, cars, the toy aisle… There’s always the question of why the bridges out of town have been blown up of course, and when super-geek Kali joins the squad the zombie-fight becomes a race against time.

Nathan’s voice is so convincing I still hear him in my head as I remember his tale. His concerns are down-to-earth and filled with youthful everyday humor, though these particular days also reveal a reluctant hero behind the facade. Ah, Misty, will you fall for him? Me, I’ve fallen for each of the characters, each brave in their own way, each pleasingly real and fun—even Kali, who talks like a Wikipedia article and works out entirely too much about the enemy.

There are gentle hints of coming of age and mild environmental warnings behind the zombie action. Youthful ingenuity, noisy bravery, and the gift of friendship prevail. And there’s all the hilarity you’d expect from a title like Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb. Think Sean of the Dead for kids, or R.L. Stein with just the right amount of humor and heart. When you’re finished, go visit the author’s webpage and demand a sequel.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.J. (new) - added it

M.J. Sheila,
Thanks so much for taking the time to review SZJMB. You did your usual honest and very thorough job. I pleased you took the time to read and review it!

Thank you!