Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

5112089
Ah, Vlad, Vlad, Vlad. How I have longed for your book, to finally find out who the man behind the funny lines and fireballs really is, once and for all.

And the answer? Well, I'd say he's someone who's a lot more sexy, with a much bigger propensity for impalement of all kinds, but who is also, unfortunately, not quite as funny.

Don't get me wrong he was still more or less true to character, and he still found much amusement in observing Leila, but when you think of some of his classic lines from the Night Huntress series, "Premature inflammulation" and "Nummy, nummy, nummy" being two of my all-time favourites, he's not anywhere near as funny as that in his own book, which I found a shame. Why can't he be sexy and funny at the same time? Especially with his mind-reading abilities, I expected him to be excruciatingly smug and relentless in his teasing, but he wasn't. Oh well.

I really liked Leila's character. The story is told through her first person and I loved her back story, her abilities- both supernatural and natural- and her strength and personality. I would have hoped her circus skills would have been put to better use, however, but maybe in the next book. Why create a character so agile and able and not use her more in the action scenes?

I also loved her powers of psychometry, that was a great addition and helped us keep in contact with more people. Which was good because a lot of the book was stuck in the same setting (which I'm not usually a fan of) but the psychic glimpses we got of the villain elsewhere helped with that.

So, all in all, I enjoyed it, it got a solid 4 stars from me, but when I think back to how in love with Bones I was by the end of book one of Night Huntress, I'm afraid I don't have quite the same intensity of feelings towards Vlad yet, but that could be due to overly high expectations, perhaps. Still, I look forward to the next one as it ends with a little twist and I'm keen to see where it's going.

4 Flaming Stars! ★★★★

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes Lynsey Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“You think my blood is the only tie between us?"[...] "This is our true tie. You're meant for me, and I will have you.”
Jeaniene Frost, Once Burned

06/28/2012 page 35
06/30/2012 page 170
48.0% "Ommm, naughty Vlad."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

dameolga oh my gosh, YES! I was expecting more in Vlad's funny department. His wicked sense of humor was what had me laughing the most in the Night Huntress series.