claire's Reviews > Vurt

Vurt by Jeff Noon

May 18, 09

bookshelves: didn-t-finish, fiction, sci-fi, speculative-fiction
Read in May, 2008

I don't leave books unfinished very often, but I just couldn't bring myself to keep reading Vurt.
Noon's cyberpunk drug-culture epic strives to describe a psychedelic future/alternate Manchester, but fails quite obviously - halfway through the book, his cast of characters have yet to spend more than a few moments in the eponymous cyber-drug-world. In addition, his characters are wooden and, despite their depressing hijinks-filled lifestyle, largely uninteresting. I didn't care about them, and the potentially rich tapestry of their world wasn't sufficiently embroidered to make up for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vurt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cuba Wow, considering the length of the book and the ease of read, I'm surprised you just didn't take the other 45 minutes and finish. It's seriously a book you can get through in under two hours at most. I respect your opinion, I'm just kinda surprised by tit.

And BTW everyone- It takes place in MANCHESTER, not London. And yes, that does make a big difference to the story; the crime, the bleakness of the factory landscape and the type of people you'd meet would be from basically different British subcultures entirely.

claire Cuba wrote: "Wow, considering the length of the book and the ease of read, I'm surprised you just didn't take the other 45 minutes and finish. It's seriously a book you can get through in under two hours at most..."

Yeah, and I'm a pretty speedy reader. I thought it was that bad.

Thanks for the location correction, btw.

Matt Salomone Dont worry my father also thought the book was horrible. But he is the most Square person on the face of earth.

All he took from it was that Feathers are drugs and he put it down.