Vivian's Reviews > Inferno

Inferno by Dante Alighieri

F_50x66
Sep 23, 11

Reading and writing about a classic such as this is always different than reading and writing about other books. For one, I feel somewhat ridiculous about assigning stars to a book such as this - we're still reading this after 700 years (and justifiably so), so of course it rates higher than that romance novel I read the other week.
Reading a book like this is also odd because it's been referenced to hell and back (sorry) *everywhere*, so it's really impossible to read it with a truly fresh mind, but that is true for a lot of the classics and there's nothing to be done about that. It still was a great reading experience, although it was much more what I expected than what I expected when reading The Prince, for example.
[image error]

This translation is fantastic, by the way. It's a prose translation, which means it can stay closer to the original text in terms of content, and since it's printed side by side with the Italian original, you still get a sense of the beauty and power of the form even if you don't speak Italian (which I don't). The footnotes are plentiful and help even someone relatively uninformed with placing it all in some sort of context.
The book is rather gorgeous, too - simple, but printed on good paper with a nice overall layout.
I ended up reading it one canto per night, except for last night, when I find I couldn't wait any longer and finished the last three in a row.
I can't wait for the next two parts ;)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inferno.