Linda's Reviews > Mila 18

Mila 18 by Leon Uris

Aug 03, 15

Read from July 22 to August 03, 2015

I recommend this book. The real events were told through fictitious characters. The book opens with the first salvo of WWII when Germany invaded Poland. The 'sub-human' Jews and other undesirables were rounded up like cattle and herded into the ghettos of Warsaw, Poland. What they did to survive slaughter is the meat of this book. Living in the ghetto meant a life of hunger, thirst, fear and a declining will to live. The ghetto dwellers eventually moved underground where even the healing rays of sunlight were lost to them. As their survival instincts flagged, they held to a singular purpose of getting their story out to the world. Several men wrote daily diaries describing the Jew experience in the Warsaw ghettos. The diaries were hidden in several places known to only a few people. One of those few had to survive to retrieve the diaries. One did survive. So we know the story of how the Jews were persecuted and how they fought and held a Goliath army for over a month using mostly crude instruments of war. However one might feel about the holocaust, those feelings will be changed by this book.

Thank you, Mr. Uris, for a good read.
(Leon Uris died in 2003.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mila 18.

07/22/2015 marked as: currently-reading
07/28/2015
50.0% "good read"
08/03/2015 marked as: read

message 1: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy have this one to read on the list, jus not got around to it as feel it'll be a very grim read indeed.

Linda Thank you for the comment. The book was not as grim as I thought it would be.It caused me to ask how and why and all the other questions about WWII that such a book provokes.

message 3: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Sounds better! Have others of his earmarked & really will give one a go soon.... jus sooooo many good books out there.

Ireney Berezniak This was the the first Uris book that I had a pleasure of reading, and I loved it. I recall the narrative and character development was more cohesive compared to his 'Armageddon'. A heart-breaking story. Roman Polanski's 'The Pianist' also captures this drama to some extent, and one could draw a number of correlations between the protagonists of this novel and the film.

message 5: by Andy (last edited Aug 11, 2015 01:46AM) (new) - added it