Laura's Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Sep 24, 11

Read from September 23 to 24, 2011

So much hype. Everyone and their brother seems to love this book. I am not one of those people. Am I reading it wrong? Did I read it too quickly?

I'm a fan of fables (don't get me wrong- I love Aesop!), and I typically enjoy being able to look at the "moral of the story" and find a way that I could hypothetically (key word) use it to make my life more meaningful. I've never (if my memory serves) been so pissed at an author that I want to beat him by the end of a book. I can't figure out what made The Alchemist different.

It has a good moral. Lessons were learned, adventures were had, and the character grew. So far, all things that I tend to appreciate. But when I got to the last page, I was genuinely disappointed...and not because the book was over.

The writing was enchanting, the characters interesting, and the plot moving. The symbolism (can I be that vague?) was average at best, nothing that you couldn't find in any other fable or coming of age story written in the last 2000 years, and there was clearly an agenda (don't all fables have agendas?), but nothing that I usually can't swallow. Nonetheless, I can't figure out why I was so disenchanted reading this book. Huh.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.