_inbetween_'s Reviews > A Dangerous Thing

A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon

May 01, 08

Read in May, 2008

4 points for first half, 0 points for second one. I'd bet my life on Josh Lanyon being a woman. I enjoyed the beginning of this book, witty and fast moving, but while any worry about love-interest Riordan's S&M preference were unnecessary, I became increasingly uneasy about the "hero" Adrien falling too neatly into the female amateur sleuth role of countless cozies. He is actually being told to keep his pretty little head out of things, and the repeated statements of how Riordan is so attractive because of his bigness and feeling safe with him fit that as well as Adrien's weak heart and lack of doing anything but reading and writing. Calling Adrien "Baby" all the time became equally sickening, esp. in the light of this ending as a het romance in disguise.

I would have said I loved it - until the sex scene. I don't want to spoil anything, but from that moment on I was unable to see this as the story of a gay man anymore. I'd happily be proven wrong, but I've read thousands of slash fics and countless gay novels written by gay men and a few by straight women. And this one is like any of the millions of straight romance novels, with the G-spot/prostate providing the first orgasm and penetration the second. Even worse than the typing/type setting errors is the confusion about condoms. Intentional or not, it also points to fantasy/slash authors rather than a gay author in the 21st century.

To recap, I loved it despite a long list of details from Adrien's convenient wealth to the reformed-rake trope of Jake. I burned to get more by Josh Lanyon. Now I'm skimming Josh's journal, thinking my hunch about it being a straight woman is confirmed by every word, glad that I didn't friend them but mainly sad.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dangerous Thing.