Ami's Reviews > Leave Myself Behind

Leave Myself Behind by Bart Yates

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: gay-fiction, 5-stars_rating
Read in May, 2008

It is rather unfortunate that this book is categorized as "Gay Fiction" because for those who are not into gay stories will lose the chance to discover one of the most entertaining teenager characters since Holden Caulfield in "The Catcher in the Rye" as well as one of the most endearing relationships ever portrayed in a book.

"Leave Myself Behind" is a truly profound and unforgettable coming-out story of Noah York, who discovered his first love with J.D. Curtis, the boy down the street. I guess the gem of this book lies on the character of Noah. He's intelligent, brutally honest, sarcastic, hilarious, and thoroughly lovable. The way he descibes loneliness, his relationship with his Mom, and his thoughts of other small things in daily life is engaging.

Then of course, the development of his relationship with J.D. will make you believe in love and hope and happy ending future. That one scene where Noah sits in his porch and sees J.D. walking towards him - the description of the reactions of what happened when the lovers' eyes met, is just breathtaking. Simply one of the best and most entertaining novels I have ever read - gay or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leave Myself Behind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.Z. Snow Ami, that scene you mention is probably my favorite in the book.

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami I think that scene is a favorite when it comes to this book. I have a friend who also love that one particular scene

message 3: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami I actually read this 4 years ago, Lisa. I just updated the review a bit (that's why it is shown on the updates). But go read it, I think few friends that I recommended this book to, ended up loving it. Everyone should read Noah :D

Mandy*reads obsessively* This one sounds good, I put it on my Wishlist, but it sure has a whopper of a price tag!

message 5: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami Mandy wrote: "This one sounds good, I put it on my Wishlist, but it sure has a whopper of a price tag!"

I bought this as paperback years ago, Mandy. But Kensington's books do tend to be expensive.

Mandy*reads obsessively* Yeah, it's $12.99 at ARe and secure ePub, which I always have trouble with!

message 7: by L'marie (new) - added it

L'marie Ok, I have to add this to my list now.

message 8: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami L'marie wrote: "Ok, I have to add this to my list now."

Few friends whom I recommended this one to loved it. And you could see great reviews of this book. So if you're up for young adult, this would be a good choice.

message 9: by DM (new) - rated it 5 stars

DM It is one of the best books I've ever read, and I was able to find it thanks to you. So grateful.

message 10: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami DM wrote: "It is one of the best books I've ever read, and I was able to find it thanks to you. So grateful."

That is the best comment I can get when I write an opinion of a book. You're most welcome, DM.

message 11: by Kaje (new) - added it

Kaje Harper Would you consider this appropriate as a YA book?

message 12: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami I thinks so, Kaje.

message 13: by Kaje (new) - added it

Kaje Harper Thanks :) I'll put it on the group shelf. Hopefully I'll have time to read it too.