Brother Odd's Reviews > Chosen

Chosen by P.C. Cast

M_50x66
May 01, 08

This book has the worst grammar of any published novel I have ever read. Whoever edited this should be ashamed. Besides that, the authors do write a story that is fairly interesting. Authors are pretty good, but the editors can't possibly speak English.

Down points of the novel are that every guy is described as being exactly the same. They're all perfectly gorgeous without a flaw or even different personalities. The homosexual characters are flat stereotypes. And, having a young adult book in which a teenage character makes out with a teacher is just plain wrong. The incident is described as being exciting and not bad at all. Huh? Why encourage pedophilia? The story didn't need this twist as the lead character is already dating several different guys at the same time. Why not put forth a stronger female character who puts her time into a healthy relationship?

Could've been much better without the ridiculous relationship with a teacher, some editing, and better character development. The plot itself holds the reader's interest despite these flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robbie I would ask you to remember the last time you heard a real teenager speak with proper English. Eh?

Good review. I disagree, but you give *reasons* why you don't like it, which is a good thing. :)

message 2: by Catherine (last edited May 18, 2009 01:50AM) (new)

Catherine I would ask you to remember the last time you heard a real teenager speak with proper English. Eh?

Although I am not the reviewer, my answer is: 15 minutes ago. And it wasn't a one-off event, either.

message 3: by Frostedrebekah (new)

Frostedrebekah To agree with Catherine, it makes no difference whether 'real teenagers' speak in proper English. A novel should attain an acceptable standard of grammatical and lexical accuracy before it is published. This has nothing to do with how well the characters speak, this is merely to do with the craft of writing.

And I hear quite a few teenagers speak in proper English.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually think that the Vampire Diaries series has the worst grammar ever. Like, seriously. Someone would start talking but there would be no ending quote. And not everyone speaks with improper English in the book and not. I don't think Damien speaks with improper English.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassi wrote: "I actually think that the Vampire Diaries series has the worst grammar ever. Like, seriously. Someone would start talking but there would be no ending quote. And not everyone speaks with improper E..."

Ugh. I meant Vampire Academy.

Tris You are ODD 'Brother odd' but i have to say-100% right. Damien (thats his name right?) and his lover whose name escapes me, are VERY stero-typed, and this could be a good example of sterotypical reading material. Maybe we should have read this story in 9th grade, instead of wuthering heights! (Which i did NOT read, but read the sparknotes on-love those sparknotes!) =) =) =) =)

destiny leigh forrester i havent read it yet but i hope it is a good book.is it a good book

message 8: by Victor (new) - added it