Heidi's Reviews > Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne

Jun 03, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: memoir-or-biography, non-fiction, from-library-bll
Read in May, 2008

This is a book that I've looked at countless times at airport bookstores, but have never actually bought. (Hurrah for libraries!) I'm glad I've read it, but also (I think) glad I didn't buy it. Some of the other reviews on Good Reads talk about the padding in this book, but I actually found the digressions and background information very interesting. Hills is decidedly not writing for a Japanese audience, and is most decidedly writing for an Australian audience (I don't know if this book has found its way overseas, but there are some very Australian references that I don't think would translate.)

I remember when Masako Owada's engagement to the Japanese crown prince was announced. My scrapbooks of the time include a number of articles about her that I collected. And it's been terribly sad to see and hear coverage of Princess Masako's life now. And for that reason, I found the book interesting and even enjoyable.

And it was a very quick read. :-)

(One interesting comment about typesetting: two "background" chapters were set in a different type. Which made little sense at all, and probably heightened the sense of "padding" mentioned by others.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Masako.