Bethan's Reviews > The Vendetta

Sep 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories-novellas, regular-fiction
Read from September 23 to 24, 2011 , read count: 1

A gently lyrical novella. At first it seemed melodramatic and as if it could be unbelievable but as the introduction to this edition illustrates, there were events in Balzac's family that it could have been based on, so it does not actually seem unbelievable then and makes for good food for thought, for it seems to be a cautionary story about parental pride and obstinacy in rejecting their daughter's choice of spouse. Most people know of people who do not like their offspring's choice of partner, whether due to a personal dislike, they are not of a good enough family background, are of the same sex, a different race, etc., so it seems relevant to me.

Since the young lovers were still in their honeymoon period, it is conceivable that they were as angelic as Balzac seems to portray them as, the simplicity of which, along with the portrayal of the parents that felt a little stock at times, means that I cannot give it more than three stars. Nevertheless, I found myself carried by a sense of quiet horror at the way that the young couple drifted along an unravelling train to the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vendetta.