Dorina Hawkes's Reviews > Doctor Faustus

Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

Sep 24, 11

Read on September 23, 2011 — I own a copy

Overall, rather disappointing. The fact that this book caused a bit of an outrage (for its time) with the whole 'sell-his-soul-to-the-devil' thing is what really got me interested. Then looking at the length (or lack thereof) of this book I started to wonder if it could really be all I expected.

This play was a quick read, relatively easy to read (might want to have some knowledge of Latin, and be fluent in Shakespearean-style poetry) but it was rather boring. I just wasn't "attached" the any of the characters. The only character you actually got to know on any real level was Doctor Faustus himself. The general plot was ok. The moral of the story was great (you know, don't sell your soul to the devil; don't trade your eternal salvation for temporary pleasures).

In the end I didn't think this story built any real plot to make you feel for the characters. It was like "O there he goes, sucks for him" at the end. Technically, the scenes seemed random and even sporadic. Altogether, I wasn't impressed.

~~~~~

After reading other reviews (having already written mine), I stand by my disappointment, but would like to add that this would be a great story if you went into an in-depth study of the concepts: heaven, hell, death, greed, etc. As a story and on a literary level (coming from someone who studies Shakespeare) it wasn't very good. Many people that seemed to love this novel "had to read it for class". Understandable that they would like it then, because in a class you dive into all the details and study context and concept. Great! This story would be a great reference in an essay on greed or eternity and the affects of the former on the latter...but not much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Faustus.