Dan Porter's Reviews > Rendezvous Rock

Rendezvous Rock by Rickey Bray

Oct 22, 14

bookshelves: children-teen-ya, fantasy
read count: 1

Rendezvous Rock is difficult to classify as to genre. It could easily be classified as YA, Romance, or YA Romance, but none of those comes close to covering the variety of the story Rickey Bray has crafted. In addition to the romance of its youthful protagonists, the story is built around an earth-based religion that espouses, as one of its tenets, natural genetic engineering. Healthy doses of action, espionage, fantasy, adventure, conspiracy, magic, and borderline erotica also run through it.

When fifteen-year-olds, Eric and Susan, consummate their summer romance atop the title edifice, Eric is unaware of what he has helped to set in motion. Susan – a witchling of the 6,000-year-old religion known as The Three Circles – has recognized the role she and Eric are to play in fulfilling the prophesy of her religion’s coming messiah. She elicits from him a commitment to her and to meeting her on Rendezvous Rock ten years hence. During those ten years, Eric is taught the principles of The Three Circles, and trained to assume his role in the prophesied events of the religion. He, his family, and his closest friend – although always considered outsiders – are incorporated into the religion over time. Eric enthusiastically learns and applies the skills necessary to protect the magic of the Circles from those who would steal it, and the child messiah from government agencies bent on destroying her.

Bray’s prose has a mystical – almost poetic – quality that is perfect for the fantasy and religious aspects of the story, but that doesn’t detract at all from the impact of its action and adventure aspects. He moves over a wide range of characters, settings, and storylines without losing any of them…or the reader. This is an excellent book that will appeal to the literary tastes of many readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rendezvous Rock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Thanks for the recommendation, Dan!

Blue Eyed Vixen Cheers for the recommendation Dan.

message 3: by Camelia (new)

Camelia Skiba Thanks for recommending it!

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Murdock Looks like a great read! Thanks, Dan!

message 5: by Danny (new) - added it

Danny Pasichnyk Thanks for recommending this book!

message 6: by Ange (new) - added it

Ange I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire thanks for the recommend!

message 8: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Thanks for the recommendation!

message 9: by Gladys (new) - added it

Gladys Gonzales Atwell Thanks for the recommendation!!! Awesome!!!

message 10: by Farah (new) - added it

Farah Thank you for the recommendation.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie Thanks for the recommendation.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Ditto. (Does anyone but me remember where that expression comes from anymore?)

message 13: by LeAnn (new) - added it

LeAnn Thanks, Dan. Always interested in books that are hard to classify.

message 14: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to check it out!

message 15: by John (new)

John Thanks Dan, not sure it's my thing but sounds interesting so have added it to my to-read list.

message 16: by Marcella (new) - added it

Marcella Thanks for the recommendation Dan! Sounds like a great book.

message 17: by Mammarella (new)

Mammarella Thank you for the rec :) Added.

message 18: by Bliss (new) - added it

Bliss Thanks for the recommendation Dan. It's now on my to-read list.

message 19: by Monique (new) - added it

Monique Rockliffe Thanks, Dan. It's on my To-Read list!

message 20: by Natasa (new) - added it

Natasa I already love it,thank you :)

message 21: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Griscom Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. It looks good. I'm adding it to my TBR. This will be the first book I've ever read with my "real" name, Susan as the main protagonist. Should be cool.

message 22: by Reyna (new) - added it

Reyna thanks for the recommendation, will put it as to read:)

message 23: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Dan, appreciate the book recommendation and I've added it to my list to read.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks for the recommendation, but I don't really like fantasy type books so I probably won't read this one. Don't stop the recommendations though.

message 25: by Todd (new) - added it

Todd Settimo Thanks, Dan. Looks interesting. Added!

message 26: by Tess (new)

Tess Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. I have a mountain of books to read, more than I can get to in my lifetime to be honest. I may give this a try, but there's a long list in front of it. Thanks anyway.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Pangan Thank you! Added. :)

message 28: by VLynch (new)

VLynch Dan, I appreciate the recommendation. It sounds like a great book, however for me owning a Nook, Barnes and Noble is not offering it as a ebook yet. I am bummed! :(

message 29: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out!

message 30: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Unsworth Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. Looks interesting and some great reviews!

message 31: by Rose Hart (new) - added it

Rose Hart Thanks for the recommendation! :-)

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thanks for the recommendation Dan. Appreciate it! I'm looking for something to read now after Raising Stony Mayhall. Thanks again!!

message 33: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie I will add this to my to read list. Thank you!

message 34: by Jillian (new) - added it

Jillian Looks interesting & it's lending enabled :) Thanks for the recommendation