Elise's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Feb 03, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 03, 2011 to February 03, 2013

So those who know me know that I never pick a book unless the title and the cover grab my attention. Last week was my birthday and I got a lot of money and I generally spend most of my money on books and anime. I saw this cover and right away it grabbed me. The beautifully rendered pale girl with long black hair that looks like it's blowing in the wind and a creep white house surrounded by inky black trees. The cover illustration is breathtaking and eye catching all at once. I read the back to see if it was as interesting as it looked and at first I thought it was going to be nothing more than a ghost love story because that is what the synopsis on the back made me think. Still I decide to get it. The book isn't very long so it wouldn't take me long to read.

Not only was it not only a ghost love story but it is so well written and the plot is so well thought out that right from the very first sentence you are drawn in. It took me one week to read this and I had finals this week I should have been studying for instead of reading. (Bad me!! XP) The plot line was original and completely unpredictable most of the time I had no idea what was going to happen next.

The characters are well rounded and not shallow. On the contrary as the story progresses the characters get deeper. They evolve and change just like real life people. Anna's character was especially well done. She starts out murderous and then turns into some kind of avenging goddess that will do anything for those she cares about. I love that Kendra didn't make her flat like most authors make their ghosts. Then there is Cas the loner that finally learns the meaning of friendship and a secret that makes this story so fascinating. Carmel starts out shallow and popular and learns there are better thinks in live then fake friends and popularity. Thomas and his grandfather Morfran are the comedy relief in a mostly dramatic and sad story. Even the cat Tybalt is a character that has depth and he isn't in it very much.

The villain was well thought out and not cliche at all. He scared the living hell out of me. Remind me to never piss off anybody who does Voodoo dead or alive. I did not see him coming not even when he shows up. Revelation after revelation comes tumbling at you like a water fall once he shows up in the story.

The writing was also very well done. It flowed and came together nicely. There were no choppy places or inconsistencies in it.

So one of my favorite books of all time. I recommend for older teens to young adults. DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH GOREY DETAILS!!! VERY GRAPHIC DEATH SCENES!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.

Quotes Elise Liked

Kendare Blake
“You make me want things I can't have.”
Kendare Blake, Anna Dressed in Blood

Kendare Blake
“The rhythm of the footsteps, the sound of whatever is coming down the ladder is driving both me and my mom steadily toward peeing our pants.”
Kendare Blake, Anna Dressed in Blood