Jordan's Reviews > From the Earth to the Moon

From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-books
Read from September 22 to October 08, 2011

I expected this book to be fantastical, but it wasn't written that way. Jules Verne goes to lengths to add verisimilitude to the story. In fact, so many facts and stats are quoted over the course of the story, it leaves me with the impression that Verne believed the feat described in his novel to have been theoretically possible, though I can never be sure of that. Written in 1865, From the Earth to the Moon was bound to erroneous in numerous ways, but there are a few interesting things that I happened to notice that Jules Verne got right: 1)It was Americans who succeeded in putting men on the moon. The novel is actually full of praise for Americans' can-do attitude and insuperable ingenuity. 2) The vehicle carried three men. The Apollo spacecraft carried a crew of three. 3) The moon was to be reached in four days. The Apollo spacecraft took four days to arrive at the moon. 5) The vehicle was launched from Florida. The Apollo rockets launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Earth to the Moon.