Pam Jessen's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

May 28, 12

Read from April 28 to May 27, 2012

Wow, I can't believe this book has a rating of over 4 stars. I couldn't get past page 12. I almost never give up on books, but what I realized is: I just don't like Barbara Kingsolver. I've read a couple of her other books and was annoyed by them to some degree - but with this book, literally every three sentences, I found myself rolling my eyes. I liked the concept, and I liked some of the facts that I managed to read in those 12 pages, but she is the most pretentious author I have ever read, and it comes across full-force in this book (since it's nonfiction and completely her voice.) To me, she comes across like she is looking down on nearly everyone and everything ("Oh America the Beautiful, where are our standards?") She states opinions as facts. I don't mind authors giving opinions, but I want them to be clear it's their opinion... not state it as though there is no other option. She also leaves out facts in favor of what tells the best story. Quick example - saying we like to call our food by names other than what they are, so we don't have to imagine little "beefs" and "porks" running around. Sounds good at first, until you start thinking about how we eat chicken, turkey, lamb, duck, lobster, crab, salmon, etc. On top of all this, I don't necessarily agree with her or follow her logic (i.e., cities that replace one kind of flower with another as soon as it starts wilting may be why kids are steering away from belief in evolution... ????) She tries to come across as profound, and to me she just comes across as conceited and closed-minded. I doubt I will ever read another books of hers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.