Daveski's Reviews > You Don't Love Me Yet

You Don't Love Me Yet by Jonathan Lethem

Sep 26, 11

Read from September 22 to 26, 2011

I'm a big fan of Jonathan Lethem, and I tried to like this one, but I'm not sure that I do. It's kind of a bizarre post-modern romantic comedy, focusing on a band made up of a bunch of young hipsters in Los Angeles. Lucinda, the band's bass player (the bass player in these bands is always female), also works for an artist named Falmouth who runs a complaint line as an art project. Through this line she meets a man known as "the complainer", who is obviously kind of an asshole but for some reason she falls into an affair with him. There's also a kangaroo in it, which seems to be a recurring theme with Lethem...

I guess you could argue that it's a satirical look at art and romance, but the satire is subtle to the point where I'm not quite sure if it's there or not. These characters are all pretty unlikable - the complainer is a loser, Lucinda is kind of a slut, and Matthew stole a kangaroo - but it's not really clear from the book how the reader should be feeling about them. Not that I want the author to hold my hand, either... I guess I just think that the theme of this book is unclear, and as a result I feel like I didn't really get anything out of it.

Recommended only for fans of Lethem, and even then go into it expecting a weak novel from an otherwise strong author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Love Me Yet.