Don's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

M_50x66
Sep 22, 11

Read in September, 2011

I had some problems with this book, but it occurs to me that my bottom line is that I enjoyed the read, it was pretty compelling and went quickly, and I think I will probably read the sequel eventually.

"The Passage" is a version of the Dracula myth. Someone wrote that, for readers of horror and fantasy, this will seem a poor entry in the genre; for readers of "higher end" literature, this will be viewed as a good read. I fall into the latter category. I have rarely read any horror or fantasy genre books; fantasy books rarely seem to me to measure up to The Lord of the Rings, and my few Stephen King books in the horror genre left me very unsatisfied.

Cronin is a good writer. "The Passage" rises above the generally pedestrian quality of most genre books. But he's not yet all that skilled with plot, narrative and the development of scary creatures. It takes much too long in this book to gain even rudimentary understanding of the evil ones here, and Cronin's explanation of the origin and nature of the bad guys is fairly murky until near the end of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.