Susan's Reviews > Death Toll

Death Toll by Jim Kelly

Sep 22, 11

The third book in the Valentine/Shaw series is a bit overwhelming. The book begins with a body found on top of a coffin in a grave, and the body count increases alarmingly from that point on. However, this book is worth perservering and finishing just (if for no other reason) to finally find a resolution to the Bobby Mosse storyline.

For me, this was the least enjoyable of the Valentine/Shaw books, and I liked Jim Kelly's other series better than this series anyway. It seemed like EVERYONE was dying in this book, most of them by murder. However, I was very happy to see the end of the Bobby Mosse storyline, and I enjoyed the way it played out.

Jim Kelly is an excellent writer and all of his books are well written and easy to read, I just happen to miss Phillip Dryden. The Phillip Dryden books were shorter and less complicated than the Valentine/Shaw books, even though Philip Dryden was certainly a man with many demons and a complicated past. But with Valentine and Shaw there are two of them to try to sort out and keep track of. But at least in this book there is the satisfaction of finding out what really happened to the Tessier boy back in 1997.

So I recommend the book, even though it was not my favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Toll.