L's Reviews > The Devil Amongst the Lawyers

The Devil Amongst the Lawyers by Sharyn McCrumb

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read from September 22 to 25, 2011

Nora Bonesteel makes an appearance in Ch. 2. Well, not in the flesh, but in another character's pondering/recollection. She's only 12 years old. Can this be anything other than a great sign? Of course, I was already hooked by the novel, and stayed hooked until I'd finished the thing.

Sharyn McCrumb is SO good. There is a mystery here, and it is quite satisfying. None the less, the mystery takes second place to, well, place and, of course, people. Although I have never spent time in Appalachia and, thus, cannot judge the genuineness of her representations, McCrumb's characters really do ring true. She avoids both stereotyping and romanticizing those who people her novels (except for the newspaper people from "outside," and even some of them are explained so as to make them understandable), which is very cool. It is clear that McCrumb respects and loves the people of the hills and wants us to do the same.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Amongst the Lawyers.