Ashley's Reviews > Owl Moon

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Sep 22, 2011

bookshelves: childrens-books

1. Contemporary Realism

2. You find your inner voice reading in a whisper as this beautiful story unfolds. A father and daughter embark on a quiet and late walk into the woods to find a special bird and end up finding a special bond between the two of them.

3. Critique
a. The poetic words of this book take your breath away. It's imagery so takes you that you begin to shiver as if you're in the snowy forest with them.
b. The strongest aspect of this book is its poetic storytelling charm. The voice of the narrator is simple yet complex the way a child's meaning would be.
c. "Our feet crunched over the crisp snow and little gray footprints followed us. Pa made a long shadow, but mine was short and round. I had to run after him every now and then to keep up, and my short, round shadow bumped after me."

4. I would use this text to introduce poetic imagery and/or first person narration. I would allow the students to write about a similar "special time" they'd experienced with a caregiver using descriptive words and, like the narrator in this book, they could use the first person narration technique. This book would also make a great tool for teaching descriptive words alone. The book illustrates them so vividly that the teacher could have the students first close their eyes while the listen to the story letting it create images in their minds and then reread it allowing them to look at the pictures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Owl Moon.