C.J. Prince's Reviews > A Red Herring Without Mustard

A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley

Dec 17, 2011

Read in December, 2011

I'll give Flavia five stars for a starter. I love Alan Bradley's characters, time line and location. Each book gets better than the last. How often does that happen? OK, I'm only on the second chapter.

BOOK #3 Sometimes a series of books is listed alphabetically and not chronologically. So annoying to those of us who are dedicated to reading sequentially.

Buckshaw, the ancestral home of Flavia de Luce, sprawls on the outskirts of the British hamlet of Bishop's Lacey. Flavia, now eleven years old, continues in her budding role as scientific sleuth. When she finds a fortune-telling Gypsy woman unconscious and obviously beaten, she is intent on finding the culprit and the reason. It is Flavia's way to stick her nose into mystery. She continues to be tormented by her older sisters.

Of course there is a murder...as unique as any ever to be devised.

How Alan Bradley manages to pull off an authentic feel is pure magic for the author lives in Canada and writes of rural 1950s England. And he's a guy writing in a girl's voice. But it works. I'm hooked.

My only problem is coming into this series in the beginning...and finding hardbacks too heavy to read in bed. (I started the Outlander series when Gabaldon was well into her fifth book so I wasn't hanging around a bookstore waiting for the next installment.)

BOOK #2 was "The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag." It remains my favorite to date. I laughed out loud often while reading it.

BOOK #1: "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie." Do begin here.

The next book has just hit book shelves and I'm waiting for the paperback. It's too good to Kindle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red Herring Without Mustard.