Book Twirps's Reviews > The Blood Keeper

The Blood Keeper by Tessa Gratton

Aug 26, 12

Read in August, 2012

Mab Prowd doesn’t mind that she doesn’t have friends her own age, or that she doesn’t attend a conventional school. She’s more than happy to live with a small group of people on a compound outside of the city, practicing blood magic and keeping the land peaceful. Blood magic is second nature to her, so it’s only natural that she is entrusted with the role of deacon when her mentor passes on. But one day a spell goes awry and as she tries to control it, she meets Will, a local high school boy who is inadvertently affected by her spell. This one incident will bring them together and throw them both into a powerful world of danger and romance.

Blood Magic was one of my favorite books last year. I loved the story of Silla and Nick. It was the perfect blend of action, horror and romance. I was a little disappointed when I read the synopsis for The Blood Keeper and didn’t see any mention of Silla and Nick, but was happy to see that their characters were woven in with this story, they just weren’t the main focus.

I loved Ms. Gratton’s style in the first book, and I thought it was even stronger and more distinct in this one. The book once again alternates between three viewpoints: Mab, Will and journal/letter style entries from a mystery person who is revealed as the story progresses. Each voice is totally distinct. A lot of authors struggle with this, but Ms. Gratton pulls it off with ease. I loved Mab and Will and their central stories were very engaging. I also loved the connection to Silla and Nick. It was so exciting to see all of the connections slowly fall into place. I especially loved how Silla’s brother and his “curse” plays into this story.

A beautifully written book about family, magic and love, The Blood Keeper does not disappoint. It is expertly crafted and has the perfect balance of action, romance, deep emotion and horror. I highly recommend it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood Keeper.

08/14/2012 page 108