Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Flowers from the Storm

Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: adult-cravings, just-okay, read-in-2011
Read on September 22, 2011

Can't say that I really liked it. I didn't mind reading it, I just couldn't connect to the story. I waited patiently for that point when I would connect and fall in love with it, but sadly, that never happened. I'm mad, because this seems to be a favorite of many people.

Usually I really love the tortured hero stories. I consider myself a sucker for them. But Christian didn't fall into my “characters I love” category. There were times when I did like him, but that was about it. Sometimes the way people treated him really, really annoyed me. I was glad that he had Maddy sticking up for him. And her dad. I liked him a lot.

In a way I liked Maddy (because she was an advocate for Christian), but mostly I didn't. This was my first novel involving a Quaker and it is my last. It took her too long to fall in love and by then I had already written off the book as not for me. I felt so bad for Christian and how hard he tried only to see him get shut down constantly. I'm with Christian on the whole Thee-Thou thing, it was annoying!

When I was done with this book the only thing that came to mind was that I was glad it was over. I'd probably classify this as a drama more than a romance. It's a book that most everyone else liked, but I can't say I would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers from the Storm.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Holy Terror "Can't say that I really it."

I think you a word there.

:p

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahaha. I reread that more than once! Guess I was adding it in mentally - which only works if I'm the only one reading it :P