Emily's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: all-time-favorites
Read from November 06 to 09, 2011

Well, I just loved this book. It was achingly good. I was often amazed how Stiefvater created this world, the characters and the plot. Everything seemed to work for me - from the smallest plot development to the climactic ending. The suspense was intense and the romance - well it just about left me breathless with anticipation! I seriously laid awake at night after reading this book thinking about when Puck and Sean were going to kiss! I felt like a teenager all over again. Characters! Sean is my new literary boyfriend, followed closely by George Holly. Where Sean was mysterious and dark, Holly was this animated, jolly fellow who I found to be a brilliant foil to Sean and quite likable as well. I liked Puck too - and so often the heroine of these YA books are very unlikable. She was a person with personality - she was not obsessed by the boy or by the paranormal event. Instead she was believable and practical. Stiefvater has a fantastic novel here - and if I were choosing, I'd pick this for the Printz. Unfortunately, I am not, but let it be known here that this book thrilled me and left me feeling intense and sorrowful, but satisfied all at the same time. It was well-written (beautifully written, masterfully written) and had quite a bit to say about people in general, even if the people in this book live in some world and time period that is not quite our own. I went back and reread passages just so I could savor the words and the meaning. I loved this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.