Aura's Reviews > Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office by Lois P. Frankel

Sep 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: personal-collection, career-advice
Read from September 22 to October 01, 2011

Written by top career coach L.P.Frankel, ‘101 mistakes’ aims to guide women away from the ‘act like a girl’ stereotypes taught to them as young ladies, which according to the author they carry onto womanhood.

The book begins with a self-assessment questionnaire to help you identify what your strengths and weakness are, so you can concentrate more on your weakness. Each section includes a case study and bullet pointed summaries to help you deal with each problem.

I liked that Frankel kept everything short, she didn’t ramble on for too long on each point, everything was clear, concise, and easy for anybody to understand.

Here however, is where I had issues with this book; Frankel blames women’s lack of dominance in the work force on how they were socialised compared to boys. While I do agree that boys are taught to be more fierce and aggressive from a younger age, whereas girls are taught to be suger,spice and everything nice, Frankel then uses this as a means of blaming women for their issues in the workplace.

As if there aren’t one hundred other reasons women’s progression at work, how much they are paid, or how they are treated compared men put a damper on their careers. There are many other social reasons for this and to ignore then I think is just naive.

There is one section were she claims you must spend as much time creating networks and socialising with colleges as you should doing work, a good enough point I suppose, if all is truly kept professional. What do I mean you ask? A shocking report uncovered many high profile business meetings and so called cooperate entertainment functions were being undertaken in lap dancing clubs and sex was often used as a means of getting deals! So I suppose women are just meant to play along with the boys huh. Of course this is one extreme, but it is one of many and I think Ms Frankel is missing a lot of important points.

How about we start appreciating the different skills women can bring compared to men, because it is a known fact that organisations that have a more equal balance of men and women perform better. Much of the book is also more fitted for the corporate world, of which not everybody works in, or wants to for that matter.

Overall however, I do think it is a decent career advice book for women and worth reading, but don’t get trapped in the idea that just because women stop making our 101 mistakes, life at work will be any better, we still have a long battle to fight for equality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office.

09/22 page 87
30.0% "best career advice book I've read all do date, a must read girlies." 2 comments
07/03 marked as: read