Elspeth's Reviews > Prince of Thorns

Prince of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Mar 25, 15

bookshelves: in-mourning-for-the-trees-lost, fantasy, dnf

I cant get behind a book that has the main character raping girls in the first few pages.
No thanks, I am good.
I have read a lot of books with rape in them, but I have to say they were mostly with a female protagonist.
One of my favorite fantasy series, The Deed of Paksenarrion, Paks lets herself be tortured for five days and nights, and rape isn’t the only thing that she has to suffer.
I understood why the character did this, I also understood why the author wrote the story the way she did.
I can see why an author will do this to their female leads, it can make them stronger, give them motivation to become the best they can be to fight evil in whatever form it comes in.
There are a couple of reasons I have issues with the main character being rapist, the first being the obvious. I cannot empathize with a rapist, there isn’t a good enough reason in the world for me to like a person that commits such a crime. I can’t think of another author that has had their main character act in the way Jorg has.
This leads into my second reason for disliking the course of actions of this book. It’s an easy out, a cheap shot in making the main character be evil, and he is evil, this is not the actions of an anti-hero. I like a good anti-hero, I enjoy the show Dexter, and Richard Kadrey writes a mean one with his Sandman Slim series.
I like books where the author takes time to build the story so the reader and the character get to know each other and settle their differences.
In this book there isn’t time, the author just jumped right in with this disgusting display to portray what a horrible man Jorg is.
This is why I will not be reading this book, it’s not all the reasons, but it’s the top two.

EDIT: Here is the rape scene that people are saying never happened.

(view spoiler)

181 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Thorns.

08/31/2013 marked as: bog-of-eternal-stench