Camille's Reviews > Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World

Think by Lisa Bloom

820910
Feb 13, 13

bookshelves: politics, family-parenting

I absolutely agree with Lisa Bloom's premise that we are filling our heads with garbage. Reality TV, celebrity gossip and obsessing over staying young by plasticizing and painting ourselves distract us from real issues in our country and the world. This book actually did inform me about some horrible injustices that I knew were happening in the world but didn't know to what extent.
I love that she encourages women to become involved themselves. Donate to charity and engage in your community. I love that she didn't say "just let the government take care of other people." We are responsible for our own happiness, no one else is going to make that happen.

I probably could have given this book 4 or 5 stars if she would have avoided politics altogether. In all fairness, I don't think this book was meant to present a complete view of specific policies. At least I hope not, because there are holes and inconsistencies throughout. I didn't like that she fell into the fallacy that if you were only "thinking" you would come to the same conclusions that I do. If you don't agree with me, you must not be "thinking". This comes up when she discusses climate change, public education, foreign aid and intervention. I loved that she points out gaffes of politicians on both sides of the aisle but completely ignores Obama's "57 states", "corpsman", or the many other times he's gone off prompter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think.