Kathryn's Reviews > 365 Manners Kids Should Know: Games, Activities, and Other Fun Ways to Help Children Learn Etiquette

365 Manners Kids Should Know by Sheryl Eberly

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended for: Parents
Read in May, 2010, read count: 1

My own manners aren’t exactly up to finishing school snuff (although I, unlike some people living in my house, at least know that it is terribly gauche to lick one’s knife [unless, of course, it is wet with one's enemy's blood and one is swearing a dread vow to vanquish said enemy]), and I don’t recall being formally taught manners at any point. So I thought this book might be interesting.

The book covers a year’s worth of little lessons in manners and includes several activities to help children learn said lessons. Topics range from table manners to telephone manners to behaving properly at various religious ceremonies. Activities are stuff like having the child plan a dinner with appropriate courses, having the child write thank-you notes, researching other religions, etc.

My little one is only a few weeks old at the time of this writing, so it’s hard for me to say how useful the activities might be. I did like some of the author’s ideas – for example, trying to make thank-you notes a fun family tradition instead of a chore – but many of the activities sounded dull to me. I think they are based on experience, though, because the author has children herself and teaches seminars on manners to children and adults alike. So perhaps it’s more likely that I’m off base.

Bottom line: probably worth $1. Probably not worth $14.95. You make the call.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 365 Manners Kids Should Know.